Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday Aaarrrggghhh!

I have been wanting to post a blog all day. But I told myself that I wouldn't sit down to write one until I had something positive and uplifting to write about. So far that hasn't happened. I can only think of my Hormonal Trainwreck I'm riding on right now....the crabby, out-of-control kids ravaging my house.....the dark dreary day. What fun are those topics when they aren't amusing thoughts...they are dark, angry thoughts. Hmmmm....what should we do?

This week, my friend's 89 year old grandfather was struck by a car as he crossed the street. He was in the crosswalk...I think it was dark....and he was wearing dark clothing. I don't know the full scoop on the story...but needless to say....he is in bad shape. I can't even begin to name the many bones that are broken. I am amazed that he has lived through this ordeal. It will take months for him to recover....if he ever fully does.

This afternoon, as I was driving to the school to pick up Caden after his fieldtrip, I watched a couple of teenagers cross the street. I was struck....as I am every time that I see this...that these kids NEVER pause, check traffic, and then proceed. More times than I care to count, I watch these kids step out without a glance at traffic. There is this one intersection in town that is particularly scary for me as a driver. It is an intersection that I do not have to stop....there is a crosswalk with flashing lights that could be activated. Usually there are cars parked close to the intersection on both sides that block my view, as the driver, of pedestrians on the side. How many times have kids just stepped out without looking. It has freaked me out so many times. I am on constant alert as I pass that intersection.

I guess what strikes me about this, is that I was raised to always be on the defense....whether you are the pedestrian or you are the driver. Never expect the other person to see that you are there....always assume that they do not see you. Is these kids' failure to take that defensive stance a part of this self-centered stage of life they are in....or did their parents fail them somehow? Maybe they think they are invincible...and that the won't-happen-to-me things of life won't happen to them? I don't know.

I am not sure where I am going with this. I surely don't expect my little blog to change the world on this. I guess I just wanted to voice this frustrating observation. I don't know who was at fault in my friend's grandfather's accident. Was it his fault for not checking before he walked? Was he walking too slowly? Was the driver not paying attention or going too fast? I don't know. It just saddens me to hear of his pain. I can't even imagine how the driver feels. What an ugly, ugly thing.

So, in closing, if you think of it, please pray for Elvett Brown.....and please look both ways before crossing the street.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Sorry about your friends grandpa. I will say a prayer for all those involved. Those grandpas are special aren't they.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Christine for posting this about my Grandpa! I googled 'elvett brown accident' to find one of the news articles my aunt told me was there and I saw your blog. You've done a great job with this and I appreciate you putting the prayer request out there. I have spent every night this week (except Tuesday because I had an HOA meeting at my house) at the hospital with him. It is tough to see someone you love so much in so much pain! Hope your family is doing well. When things settle down a bit we'd love to have your family over!