Friday, November 16, 2007

Limits

LIMIT: the point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed

Everything in life has a limit. Okay.....except for numbers, God's grace and Buzz Lightyear. I imagine that even the great expanse of the universe has a limit. Not that man will be able to find it....but I imagine that there is a limit....somewhere.

I have plenty of limits. I limit myself to how many Halloween Kit Kats I will eat each day. My body has set a limit on sleep to roughly 8 hours....not that I can get that often....but it seems to be the limit before I wake up. I know I have reached the limit on how much liver I will eat in my lifetime. I limit myself to how many trip to Starbucks I can have....or trips to Burgerville for dinner....or chocolate-covered, cream-filled donuts I can eat. I will really need to stick to my limits this coming week during Thanksgiving. Mmmmmmmm..........

For me, each day has its limits. I can eat one Kit Kat today. Tomorrow, I'll allow myself another one. As much as I would like to eat more, I will limit myself to that. I've heard that in eating and dieting, moderation is the way to go. You can eat all those rich, decadent things in life....in moderation. I am glad that each day has its own limits....and that you can start fresh with each new day. I love that about God's grace....his mercies are new every morning. We get a fresh start every morning.

My kids get a fresh start every morning too. I am typically not a morning person. I'm usually not very civil until I have been up out of bed for at least an hour. The one thing that I do love about the mornings is that my limits have been reset for the day. I can anticipate the pleasure of enjoying my Kit Kat for the day. (bummer when they run out!) My energy limit has been refreshed and I'm ready to go for another day. I also love that my grace with my kids is new and fresh. A peaceful night's rest does wonders in restoring a spirit of love and unity in our household. The closer it gets to bed time, bedlam begins to take over....and my limits are being met all over the place.

Today has been a dashing kind of day. Lots to do and running around here and there. Daria had a field trip today....then straight to piano....to Target for gifts for friends' birthdays....to soccer practice....to a slumber party. So...really...my kids haven't seen each other all that much. But...they have apparently reached their limits with each other. My limit with them got met as well. Bicker, bicker, bicker. I was going to let them figure it out for themselves....but alas....my limit got met and I sent them to their rooms. It must have recharged their batteries a little....because things are more peaceful now.

As I have been contemplating limits, particularly
my limits, I am thankful that God's grace has no limit...no point at which it cannot proceed. Kind of recharges my batteries....

...to infinity...and beyond!

0 comments: