Monday, November 26, 2007

Sisters

I'm a day late and a dollar short today. Yesterday, my sister had her birthday. We celebrated it together as a family on Saturday night. I guess I should have done my post then. I didn't get my post written yesterday because we spent a majority of the day on the road coming home. Then my family was in complete melt-down mode after that. I just didn't have the get-up-and-go to get it done. So, even though I am a day late....I can still take a few minutes and honor my sister as she makes another step closer to turning 40.

To start off, Tresa has been my sister all my life. Yep, she's the older one. I would show you a picture of the two of us so that you could compare....but I didn't find one on our computer that was flattering to either one of us. Not sure what that means. I really like the fact that she is the older one. For whatever reason, as she passes those milestones of life, I struggle right along with her. Then, when it is my own turn to pass those milestones....it's not such a big deal. It can be a good thing to be an observer and learn from other's mistakes. Personally, I think that has annoyed her at times.

I didn't always appreciate the fact that I had an older sister. In fact, at times, I found it downright frustrating. She was always such a know-it-all. I always hated being told what to do by her....I even have a scar to prove how much I hated that. (Long story....all my fault!) It seems like her friends never found me very exciting either. We also fought more times than we really needed to. Thankfully that hasn't left a lasting impression upon our relationship. I think that she has forgiven me for the time that I grabbed chunks of meat out of her cheeks. And, I think I have forgiven her for cutting off my pony tail. Eh...what are sisters for, anyway.

I think that I mentioned it on Thanksgiving, but I really am thankful for my sister. She was, and is, my best friend. I know that I didn't always treat her very nicely....and vice versa. But, when push came to shove, we were always there for each other. I remember when she left for college, I was a mess. What do you do when the sister that has always been there suddenly isn't there any more? We had our moments of separation before. I eventually got over the fact that she wanted a room of her own. I also forgave her for hanging out with members of the opposite sex. It took me a while to see what good those guys were anyway. I've come to peace with the fact that she eventually married one of them and moved far away for good.

I'm not sure that I would have said this 30 years ago, (yikes, did I just type that????) but my sister turned out to be one cool lady. She really has a heart of compassion for others. She is married to a preacher boy, and she really is a wonderful help-meet for him. She serves him, her family, and her church very well. I know that I could not make that good of a pastor's wife. I'm sure they would have fired both of us!! I have enjoyed watching how the Lord has molded her into the beautiful woman of God that He designed her to be. He did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself. I'm sure that I am not prejudice at all.

Well, I could fill many pages with all kinds of antics and stories about my sister....and me, too. Yet, to protect our dignity I will leave it at that. Just know that we have had a good time together as sisters.

Happy Birthday, Lou. I enjoyed celebrating your birthday with you. You are an awesome daughter, sister, wife and mother. You set an awesome example to me...as well as your children and the people you meet. Thanks for putting up with me and loving me in spite of all my ugliness. You are the greatest.

Love you!!

1 comments:

Tresa said...

Wow...thank you for so many nice words. I probably don't say it enough, but I love you! We have lots of great memories and I thank God for giving us each other. Thank you for forgiving me for all the rotten moments, loving me anyway, and expecting even better days as we get older (you, right behind me!...ha!). I'm thankful that we are sisters and friends!

Love you bunches!