Saturday, November 17, 2007

Skills of Life

Admittedly....I am not the most patient person in the world. Especially when it comes to teaching. The Lord must have known because he never placed a burning desire in my heart to be a teacher. As a mother, there are times that I must take on the roll of teacher....as in teaching them the skills of life. I am bound and determined that someday, my boys will know how to clean a bathroom as well as any girl. The only thing is....I have to teach them that. Oh mercy....I am so not patient in their sloppy and slow ways of learning.

Right now, I am making scones for our Thanksgiving brunch tomorrow at church. How is it that I can be writing on my blog while making scones???? Well, Caden loves to help me in the kitchen. When he asks me if he can help, I really have to grit my teeth. Teaching in the kitchen is so hard for me. The sloppy piles of flour and sugar.....on the counter....on the clothes...and on the floor. So much more clean up. I also fight the urge for speed. Six year olds really have no concept of hurry...nor are they coordinated enough to be fast at cooking.

I could probably be done by now with the scones. But...my son is having a grand time. I should probably get off the computer and lend a hand. His cookie sheet is "full" and things need adjusted so that they will all fit.

Teach me, Lord, how to slow down and teach my kids the skills of life. Then can you loosen the grip on my jaw????

2 comments:

Tresa said...

Is Caden bringing scones to Auntie Tresa's house?! Way to go buddy!!

Can't wait to see you guys!

mamaerica said...

I SO hear what you're saying! It's SO dang hard to teach and enjoy them when they're making a mess all over your nice clean floor! Thankfully, my dh is better at this than I, so he often has the kids in the kitchen with him, and I'm learning. When you're cooking with kids, it's not about the cooking. It's about the KID.