Friday, November 23, 2007

Pleasant Surprise

Today I did something that 5 years ago, I would never, in a million years have done. There is stories all over about wackos who prey and prowl the internet for naive people. Today, I met a friend that I met over the internet. Hmmmm....my mom was a little leary, but I was confident of the friend she had become.

A couple of years ago, when I was drowning in the world of Motherhood, I signed up to participate in a website dedicated to Christian stay at home moms. I was a little nervous about it. It is hard enough for me to put myself out there in the real world....much less in the unknown world of the internet. But, I was lonely.....I needed some connection to the outside world. I love my children desperately....but I needed to relate to other ladies who were in my similar situation.

What a blessing these sisters have been in my life. Until today, I have never met any of them face to face. We are spread out over the entire United States. I have met people that never, in any other way, would I have met them. How precious they have become to me. There have been times that they have walked beside me in difficult times with friends and family. They have rejoiced with me in little victories such as potty training. If there is something I am struggling with, there is likely that at least one of them has felt that same way. How refreshing it is to find that in such an unconventional way.

Today, as I visited with Kim, it was refreshing to find that not having to see someone face to face does not keep you from being friends. We talked and visited as if we had known each other for years....which in essence we have. In a way, I find that it is a miracle that through the "magic" of the internet, we have become sisters in heart. I found myself at times, because I hadn't met her face to face, surprised that I knew things about her. Then, I would laugh at myself and realize that we had "met" before, we just hadn't been in the same room before.

Just now, as I typed that sentence above, I had a thought about heaven. Won't heaven be like that for us? We have all "met" Jesus face to face in our hearts. We know Him because we have talked with Him and met with Him. We know Him intimately and He knows us better than we know ourselves. I find it utterly amazing that when we cross over the gates of Heaven....we will know Him. It will be just as if we had seen Him all our life. When I walked into the coffee shop this morning, I knew it was Kim as soon as I saw her. Granted, I had seen pictures of her before....but it is so different when you see them face to face. I just knew it was her...just as she knew it was me. What fun!!

So, here is the lesson for me today. Me...the timid and scared one. Be bold, friend, and put yourself out there. You may never know where you will find friends....blessings, really. You may just find a pleasant surprise waiting......just for you.

4 comments:

Angie said...

What an incredible lesson! Wow, thank you for sharing the analogy! I needed to hear that!

I'm so happy that you and Kim had a great visit. I found the same to be true when I visited with Tara, Tina, Jenn, and Julie. It really is neat how much we all *know* about one another and our conversations just flow when we meet face to face!

Candi said...

Yep...it is neat. I felt so at east when I met Hol. It is truly amazing to me. Then again, I am the one who has been married for 7+ years to someone I met online :-)!!

So glad that you two had a great visit!

Anonymous said...

Your post is beautiful Kippy!

I had a wonderful time (despite my little accident afterward!) and I hope we get to do it again real soon.

Have a wonderful "rest" of your visit and a safe journey home.

Blessings,
Kim

Samantha said...

oh Kippy! You brought tears to my eyes!!! I also loved that analagy; it was really uplifting and i needed that! You gals are such a blessing to me also!