Monday, November 12, 2007

Storms a-raging!

We had some pretty beautiful weather this weekend. It was pretty warm outside. We got some yard work done. Daria had some soccer practice outside. She was running around all weekend in shorts and a t-shirt. Granted, it wasn't that warm out...she just felt like wearing them. Considering that it is almost the middle of November, I was a little amazed at the warmth. I wasn't too amazed with the warmth as I shivered through an hour of soccer practice! Brrrrr!!

I haven't liked the forecast the last couple of days. All I would see on those 7-Day Forecast was rain...rain..and more rain. I enjoy Oregon quite a bit....most of the time....except these cold, rainy, dark days. Some people were complaining about all the sunshine we have had lately. Not me. I am just hoping that those aren't the last sunny days we see this winter. I miss the sun when it is gone. I think I need to purchase one of those Happy Lites that mimic the sun so I don't get seasonal affective disorder. Whatever.

This morning I woke to the sound of the wind whipping through the trees that surround our house. I could tell that it was one doozy of a storm brewing outside. My room still seemed to have that dark, gloomy feel about it. It was nice that the kids didn't have school today...no plans...so I just buried my head under the covers some more and pretended that I was still sleeping.

Then Luke woke up. Bummer. Amazingly, his first response wasn't to come in and yell at me to go out into the living room. I did hear this little click, click, click, click. Uh-oh. No lights. Yep.....the wind was blowing so hard that the kids and I woke up this morning to no electricity. You would have thought that the circus had come to town with all the yahoos and shouts of glee that came from my boys.

My first response was to go around and open all the blinds so that we could see better. Oh no....that was the wrong thing to do. Luke quickly informed me to close them right back up. Caden was dashing around the house looking for all the candles and begging for glow sticks. That is our survival plans during a power outage....at night. So why not now?

So that is what we did. We lit all the candles and huddled under blankets. Our fun lasted for only about an hour....so we did pretty good. The kids couldn't remember why we couldn't watch TV. How come we can't play on the computer? Mom....the fridge light is out! Mom...can I have a piece of toast? What are we going to eat then, Mom??? (He settled for bread with butter and cinnamon sugar!) It reminds me how dependent we are on electricity. It was good for a laugh or two anyway!

The winds have settled down now. The yard is now a mess! So much for all the work we did this weekend. We have a few branches down in the yard. One hit the roof and then crashed down outside the front window. The kids thought that was pretty exciting! I'm just thankful it was a small branch instead of a huge tree crashing through my living room!

Stay warm and dry this week. I have a feeling the "fun" has just begun.

Yippee....ugh.

0 comments: