Friday, December 14, 2007

Dreams

Have you ever contemplated the full definition of the word dream? The word really has many different facets and nuances that can mean so many different things to different people. I know that the first thought that most people have with the word dream is the dreams that we have at night when we sleep. You know, the ones where you wake up in the morning and say, "What in the world was that and where did it come from?"

Yet there are many other definitions of dream. There is "imaginative thoughts indulged in while awake." I know that I participate in this often. It can be kind of fun. Like dreaming about eating a chocolate eclair....or dreaming of lying on the warms sands of Hawaii. Every once in a while I go off into that dreaming state and my daughter will tell me, "Mom, you've got that look again." Yikes. Guess I can get a little transparent. Or maybe it would fit this definition of dream a little better: a state of mind characterized by abstraction and release from reality.

Then there is the dream that can be so hard to fulfill:
an ambition: a cherished desire. These kind of dreams come in many different forms....like the dream to be come a pro ball player, or to be the Queen of England. To meet a handsome young man, marry, and live happily ever after. Some dreams can be acquired through hard work, having the right connections or good DNA. Then there are some dreams that are fulfilled by sheer luck.

Once again I am at that spot in a post where I have a half formed thought running around in my brain. Why do I get myself in these spots? I just started thinking about some half formed dreams of mine that I know will always be a pipe dream....a fantastic but vain hope. Then I started thinking about how some people just managed to fall into their dreams. Mine won't come about to fulfillment because of hard work or dumb luck. For me, I know that it is just something that flirts with me from the back of my mind. It can be fun to think about.

So...how do I end this half-formed post? That is the quandary of the day. It kind of seems like a pointless post as I now have gotten down this far. Guess I won't delete it. So...here was your pointless post of the day. Nothing was gained from it...and we both wasted a little bit of time.

Oh well.


2 comments:

Tresa said...

So, you're just going to leave it like that?! And not tell us your dream? I think you did something like that recently with a couple of things you're praying about. :) Inquiring minds want to know!

Christine said...

Sometimes I'm too embarrassed to be so transparent. It's silly. So is the thing I am praying for.