Monday, December 10, 2007

The Joy of Mail: A Proud Mama Day!

Physically writing a letter is a dieing art anymore these days. I will confess, I don't hardly write snail mail anymore. Then again, my family would probably say that I hardly do e-mail anymore either! The crazy thing is, even though I don't take the time anymore to write letters, I sure do enjoy opening up my mailbox and finding a letter addressed to me!

I had that thrill today....sort of. It wasn't a very personal note. It was just the arrival of my kids' report cards in the mail. They weren't even addressed with my name. They were addressed "To the Parents of Caden" and "To the Parents of Daria." Yet, as soon as I saw that it was "fun" mail (vs. bills) I got a little excited. I could hardly contain myself as I dashed back to the warmth of the house.

And good reports they were too!! Both of them had really good marks on everything. Caden is" a joy to teach"; and, Daria is "a very well behaved, hard working student." Caden does need to work on his "focus" during spelling tests and speaking louder when talking to adults. (ya think?) Daria needs to work on neatness (due to rushing) and reading with expression. All in all, it was a button-popping day all around. Well done, Loves, well done!

See what joy a nice piece of mail brings? It felt really good today. It really makes an impact to have positive things written down on paper. That way, there's proof that it was said. And, you can always go back and read it again. I have started saving notes that people have sent me. They are nice to read on the days that I am doing less than best. One of my favorites came from an older gentleman in our church. He always seems a little stoic to me...so his compliment cracks me up. Here is what he said: "Christine: Thanks for the successful Halloween party--Trunk or Treat. We appreciate your high energy level, your creative abilities, and your untamed enthusiasm!" Untamed enthusiasm??? Not sure how to take that one. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Either way....it makes me laugh.

I think there is a lesson in this for me. Maybe I should make it a personal objective to send someone a note on the days I am feeling particularly down and lonely. It seems like I remember my Grams saying that when you're feeling kind of low...do something nice for someone else. You can't help but feel better. I suppose that the feelings will follow the actions. Maybe in the writing of the notes to other people, I will gain the rewards and feel a little better too. Guess I will have to give it a try.

Anyway...hope you are all having a good day.....because I'm definitely having a Proud Mama Day!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like those kids take after...

Well you get the picture...not here.

Kids, keep up the good work!!

Papa