Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What makes Christmas, Christmas?

There is a lot that goes into making the Christmas holidays seem like Christmas. For different people that could mean a lot of different things. There are lights, songs, foods, parties, trees, nativities, pageants, shopping, gift giving, stockings....and the list goes on. One could easily see that it wouldn't take much to get on Christmas overload.

Not being a shopper....and hating crowds....that is one aspect of the Christmas holidays that I don't like very much. Not only do I dislike shopping, but I really want to find gifts that "embody" the spirit of the person I give to. That is usually not a very successful venture. It is so hard to capture that in just a gift. It is probably part of the reason that I dislike shopping....everything just seems to fall short of my expectations. All the things that I would really love to get are way out of budget anyway.

But, when I really sit down and think about what Christmas really is, it isn't hard to get into the Christmas spirit. I love the decorations of Christmas. I love Christmas lights and the way they brighten up a dreary night. I love the color red that signifies Christmas to so many. It can be such a royal color that declares cheer and joy. I love having stockings hung on my fireplace....each one with our name on it. Maybe it is that spirit of belonging that it seems to embody. I also love the pageants, and concerts that seem to always come around. My kids are young enough that they really aren't the best singing in the world....but it is the best in this Mama's book.

The thing I love the most about Christmas is that we celebrate Jesus' birth. On the way to school today, we heard a kids' choir singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. I don't know what it is, but every time I hear kids singing happy birthday to Jesus, I tear up. It is just the most precious thing. I love to hear the Christmas story read every year. I think I see something new every year. My first Christmas as a mother, I remember being struck by the phrase that Mary took these things and pondered them in her heart. All those things that surrounded my baby, I kept them in my heart and I pondered them. Have you ever thought about Mary's ponderings? She had a pretty amazing baby, with some pretty amazing circumstances. It will be interesting to sit with Mary some day and hear her thoughts. She must have been an amazing young lady.
As I was going to bed the other night, I was shutting all the lights off. I am not often the last one to bed, because Tim often falls asleep on the couch and is impossible to wake up. He had gone to bed, so I unplugged the tree lights, and the lights on the mantle. The last light I turned off was the light of my nativity set. As I reached to turn it off, I was struck by the image that it was. The house was completely dark except for the beautiful nativity. Alone it stood there, in my sight, standing against the darkness, proclaiming peace, love, and ultimately mercy. It was so beautiful. I need to play around with Tim's camera and see if I can capture somehow the beauty of that moment.

Really...that is what Christmas is all about. Mercy coming down as a little baby. Wasn't that gracious of God to meet us on our terms? Brings a lot of joy down here. And, in closing, speaking of joy, a friend of mine posted this on our cybersister site. It is a fun little holiday song. It really is quite amusing. If you need some cheer, take a look. It is fun. Joy is a part of Christmas....so enjoy.

0 comments: