Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Afternoon Slump

As I have gotten older, I've noticed that it seems that I have very few "peak" hours. Technically, I am really not that old, but my body already seems to be hitting the Rhythm of the Aged. (I just made myself crack up with that thought!) Maybe I am just not good for much anymore. Past my prime...let's move on!

Anybody who has lived with me for any length of time at all can attest to the fact that I am NOT a morning person. My husband seems to find it amusing to rile me up at 6:something in the morning. I don't know why the death threats haven't scared him off yet. My new morning survival mode is to wake up....exercise a little....burn off that anger of being awake....do a little devotions....shower...and then get the kids ready for school. I really hate it when my kids break the mold and wake up sometime before they're suppose to. When Tim gets off his schedule and messes up my schedule....Whoa, Nellie....it ain't perty and I will fully admit it! The really bad thing is that Luke seems to be the only one who hasn't inherited my Love o' the Morning. (read dripping with sarcasm.) Maybe around 10:30 or 11:00 I am finally able to say that my day has truly begun. (not that the rest of the world lets me operate that way.) I am getting better about this area of my life....I promise....most of the time.

Quitting time for me is typically about 7:30 or 8:00. At this time of the evening, dishes should be done. Kids' clothes laid out for the next day. Lunches and Backpacks are ready and waiting for the morning. (Anything to make my mornings go smoother!) Bedtime for the kids is now raising its lovely head. It is also the time when I am ready to just sit on the couch and veg in front of the TV (not that there is much good on these days) or soak up a good book. I have punched the ol' Mental Time Clock and I am done. No more monkey business....Mom's off duty.

So, looking at this, you would think that I can have a pretty good chunk of time from 10:30 until 7:30 where I should be a vital, active, productive Member of Society. (Sure, if I have to.) Yet, somewhere in time, my body has developed this thought of the Afternoon Slump. Somewhere around 2:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon, I seem to run out of gas...sputtering around on fumes. I usually have grand thoughts about what I will accomplish in the afternoon, but my body rebels. It is almost like there is this undeniable force that draws my body to sit...lay down....zone out.

Today, I am ashamed to admit, I laid down for a little bit. Luke was entertained in the other room....and the next thing I knew Luke was jumping on top of me...waking me up!! I didn't think I was all that tired....but apparently I was. I was glad that Luke woke me up or I'd have received a lovely call from the principal lecturing me on being a deadbeat Mom! Anyway, I got up....and went to get Daria and Caden from school. As I was sitting in carline, it was all I could do to keep myself awake.

Now, some days are better than others. The kids' activities definitely play a factor in whether the Slump catches me or not. If I am away from home, I usually manage to escape its clawing grasp. Yet, secretly, I dream of afternoons lying around, reading a book, and sneaking in a nap. In this altered reality, all things that needed to be done, would be done. Even if I were to take a three hour nap, I would still be able to fall asleep quickly at night and rest well all night long.

Unfortunately, the Real World doesn't work that way. In the real world, all chores take time....and three hour naps completely slaughter a good night's rest. So, I trudge as best as I can through that agonizing Afternoon Slump and daydream of things that just can't happen. You know......those daydreams that just make you thzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

0 comments: