Monday, October 15, 2007

God equips the Called

I attended the Women of Faith conference this weekend at the Rose Quarter in downtown Portland. What an amazing experience. It is absolutely an astounding thing to see several thousand Christian women all together in one location. Crazy and exciting. I just loved it on the song "How Great is Our God" when they had us sing without any music. How beautiful to hear the thousands of voices joined together as one. Incredible.

Women of Faith have quite an act there. It flows incredibly well...and I was impressed how well they stayed on schedule. Yet, even with the fact of all the rehearsal and repeat performances, they still had very poignant presentations. God really has gifted these women for this amazing ministry that reaches so many women! I could really tell that God was using this conference to reach so many women from all over the nation...all ages...and from all races, too.

Through my involvement with Moms In Touch, I was asked to be involved in the prayer room. That was also an amazing experience. I am usually intimidated to pray with other people that I don't know. Yet, my first session in the prayer room, I spent approximately and hour and 20 minutes praying through scriptures for the ladies attending the conference. It was quiet in there in regards to ladies coming in asking for prayer. Yet, it was amazing to spend that much time praying through scripture. My second session of prayer time, I had the opportunity to pray with 2 ladies. It was a very touching time, and I loved how God had prepared me through my first session of prayer. The scriptures that we had prayed through were so appropriate for the two ladies that I prayed with...and there they were...fresh on my heart. One lady admitted that she had wished for someone a little older to pray for her; but, she said that I did well!! That kind of made me chuckle....because she was only 6 years older than I!!

Then at the close of the day, when my friends and I were meeting up to head for home, another lady came in at the very end to ask for prayer. She said that she promised God that she would not leave that day until she had asked for prayer. She was an African American woman. Her prayer request was regarding feelings of prejudice towards white women. Here we were....three very white women that were there to pray with her. As she was talking, I got a little nervous...because I honestly did not know how to pray for her. I was glad that it wasn't a one on one because I wouldn't have known where to start. Yet, we prayed with her....and I thought it went well. I suppose God and that woman are the only ones who will truly know if she walked out of that room changed. That was what she wanted...was to be changed....to no longer be what she was when she came in...to be different. I've been praying for her, and the others, since I got home.

I will admit that I was a little....no a lot...nervous about this prayer room. I am not a very bold person...as I have confessed time and again. Yet, I am in awe of how God orchestrated each prayer event. There was no time for nerves. There was no option to back out. There was no other way but obedience. I remember after my last session of prayer time just sitting there a little stunned. The feeling of triumph when I faced that fear and just charged right through it and found that God was right there with me. It was an amazing experience. How does one even begin to describe it?

Would I do it again? Probably. It was a long couple of days....and the crowds at times were more than overwhelming....but it was a good. God definitely equips those He calls.

0 comments: