Friday, October 19, 2007

God Smiled Today!

There’s Sunshine in a Smile

Life is a mixture of sunshine and rain
Laughter and pleasure, teardrops and rain
All days can’t be bright but it’s certainly true
There was never a cloud the sun didn’t shine through
So just keep on smiling whatever betide you
Secure in the knowledge God is always beside you
And you’ll find when you smile your day will be brighter
And all of your burdens will seem so much lighter
For each time you smile you will find that it’s true
Somebody, somewhere will smile back at you
And nothing on earth can make life more worthwhile
Than the sunshine and warmth of a beautiful smile.

–Helen Steiner Rice

What a glorious day today! My heart was busy singing praises this morning. I could have danced forever! I am amazed at my God sometimes. You would think that after all this time and all that He has done, I wouldn't be so in awe. Yet, God is so good!! Have you ever prayed in your heart for something....then something happens and you think....Wow...that was so much more than I really asked for?

Today was one of those days for me. Oregon is suppose to be in the middle of this yucky, yucky storm. We are suppose to have wind and rain....rain...rain. When I look outside right now....that is exactly what I see. Rain. Daria and Caden had field trips today. Daria's class was headed to the zoo...and Caden's class was headed to an apple orchard. Mom and Dad are in town, so I had asked Mom to watch Luke for me so that I could go with Caden's class to the orchard. All week long they have been predicting this nasty storm. I was dreading the trip the orchard. I hate cold...I hate the wind...and I hate the rain. Those conditions are barely tolerable when I am inside all wrapped up in my cozy blanket much less standing out there, facing it all, surrounded by rowdy first graders! I was really grumbling this morning, as Tim woke in the dark, dark morning to hear roaring winds and drenching rains. Ugh.

It was the most amazing thing as we were riding in the big, lumbering bus to the apple orchard. I was in complete awe. There was patches of blue sky; and, warm sunshine poured into the bus. Kids were peeling off their coats and my heart just started singing. We had such a wonderful time at the orchard! The kids were able to enjoy the hay ride out to the orchard. They jumped and ran through the hay maze and loved petting the goats and chickens. What an amazing thing to behold when I had visions of wet, cold kids huddled under a few measly umbrellas. Isn't it just amazing that God would pause the raging storm for a few hours so that we could enjoy these field trips? How utterly awesome is that!

Why should I be surprised? God is control of the weather. The storms on earth are nothing in comparison to God's awesome power. He is in control. When I heard the storm raging this morning...did I pray, asking God to cease the storm? No. I distinctly remember saying: "Hmm, Lord...this is gonna be a lot of fun. Help us get through this day." I am amazed that God would not only help us get through the day....but that He would bless us with a glorious pause in the rain and shower us with sunshine. He knew my heart...He knew I wanted sunshine. He gave me sunshine....even when I knew I would be satisfied with the absence of rain. So....today...I danced...and God smiled!

"He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet, be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!" Mark 4:39-41

0 comments: