Monday, October 1, 2007

Fellowship

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, fellowship is defined as: "the condition of being together or of sharing similar interests or experiences....the companionship of individuals in a congenial atmosphere and on equal terms....a union of friends or equals sharing similar interests; fraternity....friendship; comradeship." I don't think that I could define my Women's Retreat weekend any better.

In the past, I have come home from Retreat on a spiritual high. This high only seems to last so long since as soon as I walk in the door, my children descend upon me in a heap of whines, tears, and tantrums, as if they had been saving them up for just the right ears to hear them. Nothing seemed to make me crash back harder to reality than those tears. This year was different. I still met with my Jesus this weekend....yet it was different. So hard to explain. Maybe instead of riding on a high like the rush of jumping out of an airplane...a rush that takes your breath away in an experience that truly is once in a lifetime....I came home with a feeling of peace and connectedness that goes beyond the adrenaline. I swear I am no closer to explaining this than when I first began. I guess there are no words to describe my weekend.

We had 10 ladies from our church attend retreat. If you count the sister of one, we were really 11. I was struck at our fellowship this weekend. It went beyond the connection of weekend "roommates." I think, this weekend, the ladies in my church became friends. I so enjoyed our friendship this weekend, it was so refreshing. In years past, I really felt socially awkward at retreat. I really am horrible at introducing myself to others. This year, things felt so comfortable.

Who is to say what made this difference? I simply can't nail it down. Was it the hilarity of late night games? Was it the comfortable walks on the beach in those fortunate moments of sunshine? Was it the easy teasing and poking fun? Was it the afternoon of soaking pedicures and fancy manicures? Was it the sheer moments of just being together? Maybe it is just that where two or more are gathered, He is there.

I think this is the retreat that I came home the most refreshed. Not that I got a lot of sleep....(too many late night games). I think I just came home blessed. I had wonderful solo times....and the times I had with my friends was priceless.

Priceless.

2 comments:

Tresa said...

Glad to hear that you had a great time. I was praying for you and thought of you many times. Women's Retreat truly is priceless!

Anonymous said...

Great! Thank you,Jesus that you see our needs and provide abundantly. I too have been praying for you this weekend. I loved hearing about it. Glad the kids were better -- thank you, Tim

Mom