Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Mr. Fab

I did my first volunteering of the year today at Daria and Caden's school. What a riot!!! I sure wished that I had had my camera with me today....it was hilarious. Daria's class had a "substitute" for their science portion of the class. It was actually Mrs. Beecher dressed in a lab coat and a wig of wild white hair. She talked with this hilarious accent and I just wanted to sit back and roar. It was awesome!! She was Mr. Fab.

Their class is studying animals. Mammals, Reptiles, Fish, Amphibians, Birds. Notice that the bold letters spell out Mr. Fab. How clever! I was just so pleased to see this side of Mrs. Beecher. Every time that I have seen her, she seems a little bit on the serious side. She has even seemed to be a tad shy or insecure....she seems to have difficulty looking me in the eye. It kind of felt like a gift, today, to see this side of her. To see the kids excited about learning...laughing...and enjoying it immensely. Even I learned some things as I sat in the back sorting pictures. It was just so fun to see her teacher giving her all. I am not sure that I could be that off the wall as a teacher.

Kudos to you, Mrs. Beecher!!

*********************************************************************************

On a side note, Daria got in the van today and informed me that she thinks she needs to go back to Second Grade. Part of me wanted to fall off my chair....and the other part of me was just rolling my eyes!! She is doing so good in school. She doesn't seem to be struggling. Though, a couple of weeks ago, she said that school was hard. And last night she said it was too easy!

The issue boils down to a boy named Jackson. He has been the bane of Daria's school year, this year. Normally my daughter is VOCAL....sometimes too vocal. (She always seems to need to have the last word with me!) Yet, so far, she can't seem to stick up for herself. Jackson is one of her table mates. Apparently he just likes to be a pain in the you-know-what. I keep telling Daria to 1). Talk to Jackson and ask him to stop; and, 2). if that doesn't work, talk with Mrs. Beecher. I am hoping that this is a situation that will resolve when the modular classrooms are moved in and they can have a normal classroom.

My plan of action right now is to just pray that Daria gets the gumption up to talk to Mrs. Beecher about moving away from Jackson. I am also praying that Jackson will no longer be a pain. I am praying, too, that the placement of the modulars will happen quickly and smoothly. It sounds like another 3 weeks or so before they might be in.

God can make it happen, though!!

0 comments: