Monday, October 8, 2007

Fall is falling.

The weather is definitely changing. There are certain things that I like about Fall. I love the pretty leaves....even though the owner of my Favorite Fall Tree cut it down this last sumer. I enjoy the relief of the hot temperatures of July and August. I love the random rain that waters my grass and flowers for free...a free drink from Heaven direct. I enjoy the apple harvest, the pumpkins, and the anticipation of our annual Trunk or Treat. Fall can be a lot of fun.

Yet, this morning, as I sat shivering on the couch, I remembered the things that I dislike about Fall. Fall means the pending arrival of Winter.
The random rain that I enjoy soon turns into permanent gray skies, dark mornings, soaking rains, and a bone-permeating chill. I have become a royal Woos when it comes to the cold. I hate it. And that is not an understatement.

In my efforts to fight off the chill of winter, I have become this Fleece fanatic. If there is a relatively nice article of clothing that is fleece, I covet it with all that I am. My wardrobe is slowly filling up with varying articles of fleeceware. I just recently ordered a fleece shirt from L.L. Bean. It arrived today. I tried it on and it was like a slice of Heaven. It felt just like I was wearing a blanket...all snug and cozy. I hope that it holds up to my Great Expectations for it. I want to be warm.

The dilemma of wanting to wear fleece all the time, is that it doesn't lend itself to the trendy styles. Sometimes, I see things that border on style....but not really. I yearn for clothes makers to design a stunning dress made of fleece. I would even settle for a nice skirt and blouse. My only requirement would be that it wouldn't look like I was wearing my pajamas to church. (There's an idea....wish I was bold enough to start a new trend!)

Maybe the next big idea would be to have electric clothes. They have already designed electric socks....of which I own a pair. The socks are a little awkward as you have this huge battery pack lumping up the leg of your pants. Even so, I crave for them to make electric heated pants. It would give a whole new definition to Hot Pants. Maybe they could be solar operated. Oops....I am sure that wouldn't work with Oregon's permanent gray skies. (Rats, I thought I was on to the next big American Inventor Idea!) Surely there has got to be a way to make this work!

Well, my poor limited brain and my miserable lack of sewing/designing skills leave me dry. Guess there won't be any miracle clothes out there to rescue me from my shivers. I guess that I will just spend my fall and winter bundled up like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow man, hugging heated up corn bags, and nursing mugs of hot liquid. It makes me laugh to write that, because Luke has been asking me all day if he could be naked! As his mama shivers and shakes, there's my little nekkid boy running around in full glory. I wish they could bottle up in pill form whatever it is that makes children immune to cold.

So...Cheers to pretty leaves, drenching rains, and to functional...but warm...fleece clothing! May you stay warm and dry this damp, chilly Fall!

0 comments: