Monday, October 29, 2007

Blessings of Friends

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin



In my teen years, I use to bemoan the fact that I didn't really have a lot of friends. I was never in the popular crowd....I was always on the fringe... longing....wishing for that richness of an abundance of friends. I remember cherishing the few friends that I did have, ( I still do!), and being heartbroken with their transient nature.

Though I never really had an abundance of friendships, it seems like I have always managed to have a close friendship. Until recently. Maybe in the desire to stave of the transient nature of friendships, I suffocate them. Or maybe, I just need to accept the fact that friendships will always be transient.....or maybe just transient in their appearance.

I had a "fall out" with a very close friend a couple of years ago. I still find myself, at times, mourning that loss. When I am honest with myself, I am truly mourning the change in appearance of that friendship. We aren't as close as we use to be....but I still call her my friend. In my honesty, I can look back at all those "lost" friendships and realize that they really aren't lost at all. Their appearance has just been altered. I may not talk to them as much as I use to. I may not even talk to them at all. I may not know where they live any more. I may never even see them again. Yet, if I were to run into them today...and I had to introduce them to my family...I would still call them my friend.

Isn't that cool? I guess that you can teach an old dog new tricks. LOL!
I was reminded this weekend of the blessings of friends. I am drowning this week in the anticipation of Halloween and our church Trunk or Treat. I spent most of the day yesterday at the church in prep. First off was just attending church. Then practice with our band ensemble. I took Lindsay out for lunch as our first meeting as Samuel/Eli. Then back to the church to start decorating for Trunk or Treat. I have enjoyed the last couple of years working with a "new" friend on our Trunk or Treat. I am very thankful for her and her organization/planning skills. I feel like we have been a good complimentary team together. She has been one of the riches that have come into my life in the last two years.

As I was thinking about that today, I had to take note of all my new friends that I have developed in the last couple of years. As God took my eyes off that really close friendship, as He altered it's appearance, He opened my eyes, and the doors of my life, to so many new friendships. None of them are as close in nature as that one that I "lost." But they are all precious and unique in their own way. Maybe these friendships are healthier than that ultra-close friendship of before. I am now a part of a group of friends. We are more likely to think of others and participate as a group....than to think of only "the two of us." These friendships may rise up to the occasion at different times and points in my life as their particular forte fills a need in my life...or I in theirs. There are just so many possibilities. What fun!

I love the quote that I found about friends today. Each new friend is a new world yet to be discovered....to be birthed, in essence. Each friend is an adventure...a treasure in a field waiting to be discovered. I am rejoicing in the lesson that God has for me today. This post looks nothing like I thought it would when I began.....but God works that way sometimes. Teaches us in the moment....if we are willing.


1 comments:

Samantha said...

your post was so thought provoking! it really took me down memory lane...especially when you posted about your school time, i was the same way.....

you hit the nail on the head!